Bartmer Ave.

A quick way for out of town relatives to keep an eye on our kids.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Mama, I want go beach again"

This is what Elliot has said to us most of the way home both times that we have been to the beach in the last 24 hours. We went yesterday afternoon for the first time. We weren't getting much work done here with the kids, so we figured, why not go play for awhile? My parents are coming tomorrow and we hope to get some things done then. So, to the beach we went.

It's approximately 18 miles from our front porch to the parking lot at the beach. This is unbelievable to me, as I grew up in Illinois, visiting Florida beaches in the summertime, thinking the people who actually lived there year round must be the happiest people in the world, since they NEVER had to leave the beach. I think it's still one of the happiest places there could ever be. We put Elsie in a little puddle made by the ocean when the tide had been further in. The water was warm and she loved it. She sat with her little pink bow-laden beach hat on in the puddle for at least 30 minutes and just splashed in the water, happy as she could be. Elliot ran up and down the beach, finding new puddles to help fill his bucket and cups, shovels and water toys. Occasionally he would ask one of us to take him back into the water to play in the waves, which I think he thinks are there just for his own enjoyment. The pull of the tide knocks him over about every 10 minutes. And every other wave causes him to turn to one of us and say, "Dat was a beeg one!"

This morning we tried a different part of the beach, attempting to perfect our beach exit strategy. We have not yet improved this part of the process. So we carried our umbrella, 3 towels, 4 water toys, diaper bag, snacks, 2 chairs and 2 very sandy children to the parking lot where we tried to wash the sand off of them with one of those showers that you have to hold while you use it, you know what I'm talking about? Well, let's just say it's not perfected yet. In the running for future help include things like something with wheels and one of those REALLY big Lands End beach bags. I'll let you know when we've got it down.

The part of the beach we went to this morning was a total vacation spot: there is a huge pier and pavilion with an ice cream store and music, lifeguards, a huge parking lot, and many beach side tourist shops. I loved it. So did Elliot. The kid, I think, would play with the sand and in the ocean until he was crispy like the bagels I forget in the oven sometimes. To me, it's well worth the pain of trying to get them clean and figure out the logistics of the whole beach thing. Yes, there is sand all over my car and on the front rug. The towels are dirty and the kids both fell asleep on the way home without eating lunch first. But the wind and the smell of the salt, the sun on the water and the feel of sand between my toes is one of the best combinations on earth.

So when are ya'll comin' down? You think I'm being funny...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the stories, Chris. I almost felt like I was at the beach, and it takes good writing to cause someone living in the desert to feel that.

It sounds so nice to be able to see the ocean whenever you wanted.

Praying for you.

Maria

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and by the way, tell us more about that neighbor of yours!

Maria

3:51 PM  
Blogger Katharine F. Bedsole said...

Love reading about the beach and the beginning of this part of your life. David and I are moving in June but maybe I can talk him into driving over before we go?

4:08 PM  
Blogger Christine Gordon said...

Katharine - we would love to see you! Talk him into it, girl. You can do it...

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats