Bartmer Ave.

A quick way for out of town relatives to keep an eye on our kids.

Monday, May 19, 2008

We're here... but the camera is not

Hey everyone! No link to a new blog yet. I have a few minutes before the kiddos wake up so I thought I'd say hello. I am sitting in my living room on Lincoln on a couch which actually has a slipcover on it. We have found the dishes, clothes, diapers, etc. The kids are here and Elliot so far seems to like it here. We have been waiting for the trains to come through today, as they pass about 15 yards from Elsie's window (seriously) with a very loud whistle. Last week, while Michael and I were working here like mad to get ready for the kids to come, they came 2 or 3 times per day. So far only one has come today, and that was during nap. The kids slept through it (thank you, God).

Michael has run out to start a bank account in the Kroger branch of Suntrust which is about one mile from here. We've been to Target, Walmart and Home Depot several times. We have unpacked most of the boxes except for about 7 which include pictures, nic-naks and office stuff... Our landlord seems great so far and has been here looking for things that need to be fixed or worked on. Savannah is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Last night we walked to Forsythe park (about a mile north) with the kids and played on a playground surrounded by huge old trees covered in Spanish moss next to a beautiful and very large fountain. The houses on our block and most every block downtown (we are officially just on the edge of downtown) are amazing. Most of them are very old and very large and historic in nature. The restored ones are something to behold. I'd love a tour of many of them. There are two antique stores in big old houses within a block of my house, one with a little cafe in the back that serves things like pork with gruyere and apple slices (how do you spell that wonderful cheese?) Many sidewalks are actually brick and there are signs on everything that say how old it is and for whom it was built.

We are pretty much surrounded by students as far as we can tell. There may be a transvestite who lives next door upstairs. Not sure yet. It may be The Lady Chablis from the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". Church yesterday was good. Michael's mom and sister were here as they brought us the kids Saturday, (after graciously keeping them so long so that we could actually move in) so the kids did not go with us, just to minimize the freak out factor of leaving them yet again with someone else. We went to a Sunday school class that was rather small with good teaching. In the class were at least 4 people we had already met b/c they had come by to help us unpack or brought us a meal. There are many MANY pregnant women and small children at this church. In the next 3 months there are 13 babies due. Crazy.

So, where is the camera? Well, in the chaos of moving, putting things in storage, taking the truck back, cleaning, etc., I have managed to either lose my purse or have it stolen. We really are not sure which it is. Those of you who know me well are laughing and thinking that I surely have lost it, as I do many things. However, it may have been stolen from our butler's pantry. Anyway. It doesn't really matter. What this means is that we have cancelled credit cards and I currently have no driver's license, prescriptions that I had written to be filled when we got here, debit cards, credit cards, stamps, or CAMERA, which was, of course, in my purse. So. I guess it will be a while before I can put some pictures here. So sorry about that; there's so much to see. I think we have to wait to buy a new camera until the contract on our house hopefully goes through. That should close May 29th (we hope we hope). Then we'll maybe have some more money to spend!!!

Oh, there are more things to tell you, but that's enough for now. We have been welcomed by people at Independent Presbyterian Church of Savannah (including Michael and I having to stand up in the service and be recognized as the new RUF pastor for SCAD and his wife - good thing I wore my conservative/I'm the pastor's wife dress) and very welcomed by Michael's family in Griffin. It's calming to me just to think about who will read this as I type it. I miss you all in St. Louis. I really do. More later.

Oh, and by the way, Bug is crawling. She crawled several feet today, smiling the whole time!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry you lost your purse (notice i put lost). that sucks. i've been checking for an update - so good to hear from you. we miss you in st. louis.
jeremy (jerm to you)

6:10 PM  
Blogger John Hendrix said...

I found your purse!

It was in our kitchen. But we can't send it in the mail for security reasons. You'll have to come back here to get it. Might as well bring all your stuff back as well, along with michael and the kids.

k?

9:31 AM  
Blogger rachel said...

I want to read a lot more about the may-be-transvestite. Oh, and about you guys too.

11:53 AM  
Blogger John Hendrix said...

Any chance there are some hobos hanging out by that railroad? Lets see some drawings if you don't have a camera.

11:57 AM  
Blogger 2WeeMonsters said...

Daniel is sad there's no pictures of Elliot's new house. He keeps asking, "Where's Elliot's house?" Sorry your purse is missing, what a pain on top of moving! Glad to hear you're there and settling, sort of and we look forward to more updates!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm just glad you're alive and all the people-parts of the gordon clan are present and accounted for. yes, i laughed about the lost purse, but the cynic in me says, "some bastard stole it."

bastard...

love you, too. i'll be praying as i travel on may 29 that the contract on your house goes through. bastards buying the house you used to live in allowing you to move a way from me...

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats